Monday, June 29, 2009

Spiritualized - Laser Guided Memories

I'd never heard of spiritualized before this album was suggested to be by one of this blogs most loyal devotees. ( i know, i know, what a sheltered life i lead. did i have me head in the ground during the 90's?) I should've heard them before, ( NME gave them album of the year for 1997's Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating is space) they make the sort of music i like; slow building, atmospheric rock which moves through the realms of relaxed, to urgent, intense and then calm, the way some of the best albums do. They start off slow, build up to the point of explosion, hold you there for a few moments and then bring you back down. It's influence on bands like Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky are obvious especially in songs such as Angel Sigh, which would fit in comfortably on any Mogwai Album.

1 comment:

  1. This album got me through some rough break ups in the 90s. It also led to one of my most orgasmic live moments when they played many of the songs live with no less than 4 guitarists (including bass) at Fuji Rock Festival 2002.

    I love Angel Sigh, but my favourites are Take Your Time and Sway.

    The correct album title is Lazer Guided Melodies.

    ReplyDelete