Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Beck - Seachange

I should've mentioned at the start that while there is a long list of reasons relating to why i personally wont complete this project there is a big blog ending possibility that sits out of my control. That is the future of my generous and slightly dodgy russian MP3 provider. If the offer of unlimited downloads was not a blatant grab for quick cash before shutting down its doors forever than i don't know what is. Of course these suspicions should've stopped me from handing over anymore cash in the first place but if you can't trust the russians who can you trust? The bottomline is any day now i could log into the site to find that the url no longer exists or that it has moved to evendodgiermp3.com and that unfortunately my previous account is no longer. In the meantime i'm downloading like Mad Jack McMad so that i at least get some value out of this while it lasts. So filling up my library with never owned gems is one of the main tasks in these early days. The weird stuff can wait. I've always been a Beck fan, he is quite the musical genius and has made some cracking songs. But i have to admit that some of his stuff has gone over my head and other stuff has just, well, downright annoyed me. Seachange is a Beck i very much get. It's a beautifully orchestrated album, the use of a full string section ( real, not electronic ) on some songs gives it a big band feel whilst remaing intimate and personal. The slide guitar on 'guess i'm doing fine' and 'end of the day' melds perfectly with Beck's slow almost country drawl. It's a quiet album, with none of the electronic 'noise' that Beck likes to meddle with, but it still has some oomph to it. For me it's an instant classic.

1 comment:

  1. seascapes.. good album, not quite on par with seachange

    ReplyDelete