Saturday, May 23, 2009

British Sea Power - Do you Like rock music?

Some of my many, many readers have been suggesting albums which i may wish to listen to for which i am thankful. I have no real plan at this stage for the remaing 340 odd days of listening so any ideas are much appreciated. Of course the chances of me staying the distance are very very slim. I don't have a big track record on following through on things and am possibly one of the laziest people ever when i put my mind to it. I have a list in my head of albums i should listen to but when it comes to the crunch sometimes i can't bring myself to listen to something with enough of an open mind to not skip to the next track halfway through a song i don't like. Whilst some albums grow on you the more you listen to them, others grate more and more the longer they are played. I find i get very angry at music ( one time i threw Powderfinger's Vulture Street out the window of my car on Parramatta Rd i was that annoyed by how bad it was ) probably because it irritates me when a band that i know is good releases drivel, Or people who try to make 'arty' music just make 'crappy' music. So when British Sea Power ask me Do i like rock music? my answer to them is, well give me about 45 minutes and i'll be able to tell you. This is your standard British Indie fair ( think infadels, detroit social club, artcic monkeys ) with some standards (Waving Flags, Lucifer ) and some stand-outs ( Great Skua, Open the Door, Lights our for darker skies ) It's good indie rock and it doesn't try to be anything it's not. While not quite reaching the standard of 'bloc party' or 'the rakes' British Sea Power do make some good music, i don't find myself needing to skip songs halfway through, and it doesn't make me angry listening to it, so i suppose if this is rock music, then yes, i do like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment