Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Methodrone

It's funny how some music just allows you to instantly recall a particular period or moment in your life and bring back not only memories but actually feelings and senses of that time. I find that some music actually produces tastes and smells and knots in my stomach or heart when i hear it. When i hear john farnham i think of primary school and the playground at lunch time prince or billy joel i think of being a fat little kid sitting in my room playing video games on the pc, guns and roses makes me think of high school ( and shudder ) red hot chilli pepper's 'one hot minute' was the album that summed up the end of school for me. and so on and so forth...Even though i've listened to those albums and artists countless times since then i still remember a specific time or occasion when that album was lost in a 'moment' and that means even if i don't want to, i get that image or sensation when i listen. The music has become a package and if i want to listen to it i have to accept the feelings that will come with it. I never really got into Brian Jonestown Massacre and listening to them now i really struggle to understand why. I mean this album 'Methodrone' pretty much made me fell like i did in 1995 ( the year it was released ) when i was heavily into pearl jam, nirvana, soundgarden etc. Whether intentional or not, this album lives up to its sarcastic name, and encapsulates the feeling of being on heavy pain killers or sedatives. It's not a bad thing, it just gives you that warm feeling, that humming inside that you get when all your senses have been dulled, and you absorb the music more than listen to it. If i had've listened to it years ago i just know that this album would be in my top albums of time.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmmmmm Brian Jonestown Massacre doesn't do it for me - but for that warm dull fuzzy feeling I use Gruner Veltliner.

    ReplyDelete