Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bonny 'Prince' Billy - The Letting Go

I go through times when in just hate music. I can't find anything that i want to listen to. The radio angers me, as everything on it is garbage. Even the stuff i love seems somehow tainted or stale or i don't know what, it's unexplainable. Nothing is inspiring, music is dead, there will never be another good album. etc. etc. Then there are times when i hear something that changes everything i ever thought i knew about music. Like when i first heard a Bob Dylan Album, David Bowie, Radiohead, Arcade Fire or Tool. All different types of music all completely shattered my perceptions of what good music was. All made me love music, all made me want to listen to everything these artists had ever made and to everything that inspired these artists to make this sort of music. I cannot believe i had never heard of Will Oldham ( aka Bonny 'Prince' Billy & Palace Music )until recently. He has almost 15 albums to his name and he writes the sort of music that astounds me. how can someone be this good? how can someone just write simple music and tell a story with that gets you caught up in the journey and forget about whatever it is you were thinking about previously. This is music for late at night, with a bottle of red. Or for cold winter afternoons. It's earthy and warm, its tone is soothing, its melody is medicinal.

1 comment:

  1. Great pick up, Lenny. Shame I'm OS or I would give you my old Oldham/Bonnie/Palace albums to listen to. I just picked up a Palace Bros album the other day in Shinjuku. Will is an endless source of joy. Some of his collaborations have been inspired (eg 'Xxv' with Marquis De Tren or his cover of Richard Thompson's 'Calvary Cross' with Tortoise). He is also good live, but often suffers with inattentive audiences. I thought we did see him once together at the Metro (supporting Dirty Three)?

    ReplyDelete